The Never-ending Window Project: Part 1

Sometimes, you screw up.

DSCN3581

Sometimes, you get a ‘brilliant’ idea, and it totally, completely, 100% fails.

This was by far one of my more… irreparable fails. Most of the time, I can fudge, adjust, smooth over, or cover an ‘oops’. This time, not so much.

It began with a brilliant idea to paint my last large window frame with a gorgeous cursive design to hang in our bedroom. I downloaded a free font online (fontspace.com has been one of my favorites lately), installed it in Microsoft Word using a tutorial I found online, and typed it up. Nate helped me resize the document and print it on two heavy-duty large cardstock sheets. I spent hours and hours carefully cutting out the letters and corner designs with a sharp blade, attaching the stencil I made for myself to the window, spray painting several light coats, and carefully peeling off the…

And that’s where everything went wrong. You can see the disastrous results above.

So I sighed a big sigh, called Nate to come laugh with me at my ‘brilliant’ idea, and cleaned the window off to start all over. Only this time, no stencils, no spray paint.

DSCN3585

Back in the winter, I painted my first window to spruce up the kitchen, shared here and hereWhile probably not the most efficient way to paint a window, it certainly worked the first time, so I gave it another go, choosing black acrylic paint instead of white. You can pick up a small tube at any local craft store for a couple dollars. Just like last time, I painted the letters in reverse on the back side so the glass on the front would be smooth. This way, my letters will be much less likely to chip.

I started with the text…

DSCN3588

And then added decorative corners (again, downloaded for free online and uploaded to Word). You can see how I taped the corners onto the front side of the window pane so I could paint over the lines from the back side.

DSCN3592

I painted my first coat on fairly light. Even with a tiny paintbrush, it was hard to keep some of the more delicate lines even and consistent. It’s so much easier to scrape off a light coat of paint without damaging the glass than it is to chip off a thick coat. I went back over all of the lines to darken them after the entire first coat was on and dry (just a side note-acrylic is very fast drying, nice in the sense you don’t need to wait forever to move on, terrible in the sense that your mistakes sometimes dry before you have a chance to fix them!).

Because I chose black, it didn’t take many coats of paint. When I painted the coffee sign from before in white, I had to coat each area several times to keep the paint from looking uneven and see-through. Once all of the paint was on and dry, I carefully removed any excess paint and cleaned up the design a little with a blade. My only advice here: just be careful about using a sharp blade on the glass; if you’re careful and patient you shouldn’t scrape the glass.

DSCN3598

Part 1 of this window is (finally) done! I have been working on pieces of this project for over a month now, and am thrilled to finally be able to think about hanging it up! I have a little more work to do on the frame – painting and gluing a few cracks – but we’re almost there! The first coat of paint is on and drying in the kitchen and I love it.

DSCN3605

Stay tuned!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “The Never-ending Window Project: Part 1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s